Information & Communication Technology ICT Partner
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Shun-Ping Chen
Information and Communication Technologies
Since April 2008
Teaching and Research
- Professor of Communication Technologies and Networks
- Director of Institute of Communication Technologies
- Faculty of Electrical Engineering & Information Technologies
- Darmstadt University of Applied Sciences
- Chairman of the Professor Döhrer Foundation
June 1992 - March 2008
- CTO/CIO, Member of the Management Board, Head of IT, responsible for ICT (News Agency/Media, Transport Logistics)
- Technical Director, Member of the Management Board, development and production for communications, safety and security technologies (Electronics Industry)
- Head of Department, Team Manager, mobile communication transport network planning and systems (Mobile Network Operator)
- Project Manager, research and development of communication systems (Communication System Manufacturer)
October 1981 - May 1992
Studies, Research and Teaching at Technical University Braunschweig
- High frequency engineering
- Communication technologies and systems
- Optical communications
- Optoelectronic integration
- Waveguide structures
- Performance analysis and optimization of 4G(LTE), 5G mobile communication networks
- Antenna array systems, beam forming
- 5G Multiple RAT (Radio Access Technologies)
- 5G MU-MIMO (Multi-User Multiple Input Multiple Output)
- Fiber and free space optical communications
- Wave propagation, scattering, diffraction
- Network security
Research Sabbatical, Visiting Research Fellow / Visiting Scientist
- WS 2012: T-Labs (Research Center of Deutsche Telekom), Darmstadt (Project "DA2GC", LTE Advanced)
- WS 2012: Technical University Hamburg (Project "Near Field Beam Forming and Focusing")
- WS 2016: Nokia Bell Labs Research, Stuttgart (Projects "5G Multi-RATs" and "5G Massive MIMO")
- WS 2020-SS 2021: ESA/ESOC (Projects in Space Communication Technologies)
- Information & Communication Networks
- Mobile Communications
- Fiber & Free Space Optical Communications
- Network Security
- Logic Design, Digital Technologies
- Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering
- fluent: English, German, Chinese (mother tongue)
- simple conversation and reading: French (B2), Spanish (B2)
- basic knowledge: Italian (A2), Japanese
- Maximilian Schüngel, Steven Dietrich, David Ginthör, Shun-Ping Chen, Michael Kuhn: Optimized Propagation Delay Compensation for an Improved 5G RAN Synchronization. Accepted for IECON 2021, 47th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, October 13-16, 2021.
- Maximilian Schüngel, Steven Dietrich, Shun-Ping Chen, Michael Kuhn: Synchronization Requirements of Converged Wired and Wireless Time-Sensitive Networks for Industrial Use Cases. Accepted for KommA 2021 - 12. Jahreskolloquium Kommunikation in der Automation, Noevember 18,2021.
- Shun-Ping Chen: Characteristics of Near-Earth, Lunar and Interplanetary Laser Optical Communications by Considering Different Telescope Apertures and Distances. Submitted to CEAS Space Journal, Springer Nature, on October 25, 2021.
- Shun-Ping Chen, Jose Villalvilla: Comparison of Modified Woo's Solar Phase Scintillation Model with ESA's BepiColombo Superior Solar Conjunction Measurement Data for X-Band and Ka-Band. Submitted to CEAS Space Journal, Springer Nature, on October 7, 2021.
- Emmanuel Domfeh Aboagye, Shun-Ping Chen: Deep Space Optical Communications (DSOC) Downlink Simulation with Varying PPM Order. Optical and Quantum Electronics, Springer Nature. September 21, 2021. DOI: 10.1007/s11082-021-03232-z
- Shun-Ping Chen: Investigations of free space and deep space optical communication scenarios. CEAS Space Journal, Springer Nature. September 13, 2021. DOI: 10.1007/s12567-021-00388-y
- Maximilian Schüngel, Steven Dietrich, David Ginthör, Shun-Ping Chen, Michael Kuhn: Heterogeneous Synchronization in Converged Wired and Wireless Time-Sensitive Networks. WFCS 2021, IEEE International Conference on Factory Communication Systems. June 9-11, 2021.
- Shun-Ping Chen, Heinz Schmiedel: Simulation and Measurement Results of Near Field and Far Field Characteristics of an Array of Microstrip Patch Antennas. Submitted to Wireless Personal Communications, Springer Nature. May 11, 2021.
- Maximilian Schüngel, Steven Dietrich, Ludwig Leurs, David Ginthör, Shun-Ping Chen, Michael Kuhn: Advanced Grandmaster Selection Method for Converged Wired and Wireless Networks. ICIT 2021, IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology. March 10-12, 2021.
- Shun-Ping Chen: Fundamentals of Information and Communication Technologies. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, UK. ISBN (10): 1-5275-5585-2 / ISBN (13): 978-1-5275-5585-3. Official release on October 1, 2020.
- Maximilian Schüngel, Steven Dietrich, David Ginthör, Shun-Ping Chen, Michael Kuhn: Single Message Distribution of Timing Information for Time Synchronization in Converged Wired and Wireless Networks. IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies & Factory Automation ETFA 2020. September 8 – 11, 2020. Vienna, Austria.
- Maximilian Schüngel, Steven Dietrich, David Ginthör, Shun-Ping Chen, Michael Kuhn: Analysis of Time Synchronization for Converged Wired and Wireless Networks. IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies & Factory Automation ETFA 2020. September 8 – 11, 2020. Vienna, Austria.
- Tobias Siegel, Shun-Ping Chen: Investigations of Free Space Optical Communications unter Real-World Atmospheric Conditions. Wireless Personal Communications, Springer Nature. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11277-020-07724-1, August 12, 2020.
- Shun-Ping Chen: Near Field Beam Forming Characteristics of Conformal Antenna Arrays. International Conference on Cyber-Enabled Distributed Computing and Knowledge Discovery CyberC 2019, Guilin, China (October 2019). IEEE Computer Society CPS
- Shun-Ping Chen, Jens Gebert: Investigations of 5G Multiple Radio Access Technology Performance and Resource Selection Behavior. International Conference on Cyber-Enabled Distributed Computing and Knowledge Discovery CyberC 2017, Nanjing, China (October 2017). IEEE Computer Society CPS, Order Number E6314, ISBN-13: 978-1-5386-2209-4
- Shun-Ping Chen: An Efficient Method for Investigating Near Field Characteristics of Planar Antenna Arrays. Wireless Personal Communications, 95(2), 223-232, Springer Nature, 2017
- Shun-Ping Chen: An Analytical Method for Investigating Near Field Characteristics of Planar Antenna Arrays. Global Conference of Wireless and Optical Communications, Malaga, Spain (September 2016)
- Shun-Ping Chen: Improved Near Field Focusing of Antenna Arrays with Novel Weighting Coefficients. IEEE WIVEC 2014, International Symposium on Wireless Vehicular Communications / IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, Vancouver, Canada (September 2014). IEEE Xplore Digital Library
- Shun-Ping Chen: Performance Analysis and Optimization of DA2GC (Direct Air to Ground Communications) using LTE Advanced Technology. Global Wireless Summit 2014, Aalborg, Denmark (May 2014). IEEE Xplore Digital Library